Lost Password?   -   Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Materials for making shields
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
 (Print Post)
Materials for making shields
I just need an out of game clarification on what is acceptable for materials to make the phys rep of a shield out of. The dimensions are given in the rule book, and I have a pretty good idea on some material (using the hard pink insulation foam), but I wanted to know if it was okay to put a coat of water resistant paint on the outside was acceptable. (I will still have the edges with the squishy pipe foam as required, and it will still be squishable).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: Materials for making shields
I don't see any reason that painting wouldn't be okay. I would still recommend a layer of duct tape between the foam and paint so the foam doesn't get marred and dinged in transport and in combat. Shields really take a beating! Optionally you can go with corrugated plastic as the base and paint that, I've seen that technique used frequently. Home Depot/Lowe's usually has big sheets of the stuff for like $10.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
 (Print Post)
I made a shield out of pink foam with no tape on the front. After infrequent usage, it looks like sheer hell. There are gouges all over it from drops, setting stuff on it, falls, etc. You'd want something more scratch resistant as a cover for the front, or if it's going to be a solid colored shield, just be prepared to touch the paint up once in while. Going that route, it'll start to look like a shield that saw "real" usage after a while...

The Da Vinci of Vulgarity.
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
 (Print Post)
A water resistant fabric glued to the front should add a lot of strength without a lot of weight.